Cheap Lunch Date

When my kayaking buddy and I planned our trip for last week, we had in mind that we'd stop somewhere for a picnic lunch rather than spending time looking for an interesting cafĂ© or coffee shop.  Knowing she ate gluten free and vegetarian, I offered to bring some fruit and anything else she might like.  She graciously brushed off the suggestion and said she'd just "pick up something,"

Well, she just picked up grape tomatoes and GF crackers, purple grapes and spicy, jalapeno cheese, and...chocolate-dipped cannoli!  After spreading out a well-used tablecloth on the picnic table at the state park, we feasted on the bounty she had supplied.  My half-eaten sandwich was saved for an ordinary meal at home.

My buddy said that she, her husband and adult daughter often drive around to explore a new spot and then have a picnic lunch together.  Since her daughter uses a wheelchair and many small eating joints off the beaten track are often difficult to access, they just pack their meal and eat alfresco.  Although they are not a timid family at all about equal access, they choose to make their outings together pleasant and focus upon enjoying their adventures.  I asked her how often they go on picnics and she surprised me by answering, "About twice a week."

This is a very busy family.  They have horses and geese, five dogs, several cats and a donkey to take care of, in addition to both parents playing in a local symphony and the mom only recently retired last month from a very emotionally-demanding job.  They find time to go on picnics.

It made me think about my hesitation to explore restaurants with Uncle Grumpy, due to his difficulty hearing in noisy environments despite his expensive hearing aids.  Whap!  I coulda had a V8.  The woods are calling me and I must pack us a picnic lunch.  And, bug spray.
       

Comments