Fine Flag Day

Sometimes when I'm driving home from an appointment I get the feeling that I should stop in at one of my favorite thrift stores.  It's more than a casual wondering what's new or reduced this week; it's a strong feeling that I should go..there...now.

More than once I've been scouring the racks and heard a familiar voice talking to one of the workers or volunteers, then peeked around the corner to see a neighbor who loves spicing up her wardrobe with quirky finds.  The next time I hit that store I find myself listening for her voice, or at least think of her when I spot something unique that I'd never wear, but know she would.  Who knew that frequenting thrift stores could add to a sense of community?

Recently, scarves have been the main treasures I've unearthed at my tried-and-true shops.  I have just about all the Tupperware I'll ever need and I'm in the business of giving away trinkets, not collecting them.  Oh, and nowadays I'm hunting for petite, cast-off jewelry with tiny pendants I can disassemble and use to decorate the stamped necklaces I'm making for friends.



However, this week there was a special treat waiting for me at the local animal league shop--a beautiful, formerly expensive house flag in perfect condition.  RVA folks are nuts about displaying house flags and the nice ones can run at least $80-100.  I've made these flags before and they are worth ever penny, justified by the labor alone.  This cutie--a mere $7.

 


Comments