What Works For You?

An in-law's in-law began retirement last week.  Along with our congratulatory card I enclosed a copy of my rubric for retirement, as a lark.  This man is about one of the most industrious people I've ever met, with endless energy and creativity--I knew he'd hit the ground before dawn on his first day of freedom and never run out of projects or interests.

When I saw him during an early 4th of July celebration a few days ago I asked him if he'd developed his own rubric.  He took a little breath and said, "I was interested in it until I saw words and phrases like, "Analyzes," "Prepares framework," and "Demonstrates measurable improvements.  I'm done with all of that; I just want to do whatever I want."

I can understand his point.  He has an excellent track record in using his time wisely to beautify his yard, care for his boat and join his wife in many social activities in their waterfront community and elsewhere. 

He will probably be one of those people who is full of vim and vigor throughout life.  I've known people like that--that was my mom.

But, my mom's world got smaller when the weather turned cold up in Chicago.  The day came each year when she didn't need to gather overwhelming amounts of ripe veggies from her garden to can or share or dig one more hole to set a transplanted fall perennial.  The ground froze hard and she could only gather so many sticks and limbs from the ground to carefully bag up for the trash man.  She could barely wait for spring to come again.

When she could still see well she spent her after-dinner time to sew or do bookwork for the family business.  Also, it took at least an hour to clean up after her cooking, since she made everything from scratch and even a simple one-pan meal simmered for hours before serving, melding all those spices she had selected to make it delicious.  After my dad got sick and then after he was gone she still spent time making her dinners, but then they weren't gobbled up so quickly.  Less cooking and less time cleaning up on those long nights.  The house didn't get dirty very quickly, either.  Lots of free time on those chilly, winter evenings.

How do you use time wisely when there's so much time to use?  Maybe some folks are caring for their grandchildren, or an adult they love, which takes all their time.  They are looking for some free hours!  Other folks are reading all those books they've had on hold for ages or--don't make me scream--some folks are watching Law and Order re-runs.  Wasn't Lenny the best?  If we're not careful, Lenny can become our best friend.

That's why I'm following my rubric.  I might have all the energy in the world, like my mom did, but even my mom needed more to do and think about in the winter and also when her home management skills weren't required as intensely as earlier in life.

Part of my rubric is "Prepares framework of leisure pursuits for purposeful use of time and talents."  If I have the ability and funds I can make a meal each week for someone who will need it, or just to show someone that I care.  If my balance and ambulation are still good I can listen to an audiobook or maybe a Freakenomics podcast while I walk on my antique home treadmill.  Nothing like adding a current social science tidbit into the conversation when I talk to my kids, eh?

I can pretty much do whatever I want, and I want more than that from life.  What works for you?



Comments