"Forte Rocca e il nostro Dio"--the Jazz Version

One of the no-cost strategies for satisfying my love of music and need to learn more about it is by volunteering as an usher for performances at a local college here in Richmond.  In previous years I signed up for one or two recitals, music festivals, ballets or plays but this season I went whole-hog and plunked my name down for six events--quite a challenge for me.  September 6th was my first opportunity for savoring the ear candy I'd been anticipating for so long.
When the leader of the jazz trio at the Modlin Center began describing their upcoming tour to Rome this fall, to celebrate the 500th anniversary of the Protestant Reformation, I had a moment of feeling like a bad Lutheran. Hadn't I spent two years of Saturday mornings in catechism classes during 7th and 8th grades, memorizing key facts of Luther's life and work, as well as all those articles and petitions of his "Small" catechism--how did this important date of upcoming church history escape me?
The David Esleck Trio's version of "Forte Rocca e il nostro Dio" was outstanding last night, starting out with the familiar melody, morphing it into something completely unrecognizable yet powerful, then bringing it back to its beginning in a simple, clear finish. Jazz lovers, Catholic and Protestant alike, are going to be thrilled when they hear those same notes in a few weeks.

500 years seems like a very long time to be singing the same song, yet there are fortresses in the photos my friends send me from their trips to Europe that have been standing much longer than that. Even older buildings in great cities like Brugge are used every day as schools or offices, I'm told.
Which all brings me to the idea of the perseverance of the saints. No, not that we all persevere with one another's annoying ways so we can all get along, I'm talking about the fact that we're going to be together, forever, because the Lord holds us in the palm of His hand.
One day I'm going to meet Mnason from Acts, "...a man from Cyprus and one of the early disciples." I'm really looking forward to chatting with all those unnamed "God-fearing women" who are mentioned so frequently in the Gospels. My Sunday school teachers from the 80's, Kay and Charles and Dick, will be there and we'll be amazed at all the new things we learn in those heavenly seminars. Maybe Joshua will teach me how to speak Hebrew.
When I read the Bible these days I look for names of people and think about what we'll be praising God for when we meet someday. For healing, for salvation, for Jesus' sacrifice. Reading their names in the Bible has introduced me to them and I'll get to know them for real, there.
All because He made the way and never let us go. Ein feste Burg ist unser Gott. 
A mighty fortress is our God.

Comments